Postnasal drip (also known as PND) is one of the most common health problems, which is created by producing the excessive mucus. The excessive mucus is caused by nasal mucosa. Most people suffer it at any level of age. No sooner do you contract postnasal drip than you have to experience some type of negative feelings including uncomfortable and irritating feelings.
Some common type of mucus such as wet and thick substance can be produced by glands in throat, airways and even your nose. Thanks to its functions in cleaning and moisturizing nasal membranes, cleaning and trapping foreign matter as well as fighting infections and humidifying the atmosphere in airways, throat, nose continue to be paid more attention.
There remains the fact that the mucus can be produced from your nose when swallowing. It often occurs unconsciously during all day and we usually don’t pay attention to it. The body often contract post-nasal drip when mucus drip at the back of the nose by the excessive production of mucus.
Not only do the body feel hoarseness but it also suffer some negative feelings such as sore and irritated throat, congestion, coughing when having this disease. Besides, it is really difficult to swallow and overall health can be decreased significantly. All the mentioned above characteristics is known as common symptoms of this disease.
There are a wide range of factors that lead to postnasal drip such as flu, sinus infection, allergies, common cold, cold temperature, spicy foods, hormonal changes, certain medications, chemical fumes, dry air, cleaning products, perfumes, other irritants as well as smoke. All these factors can trigger to post nasal drip.
If you contract post nasal drip heavily, you need to go to doctor to consult immediately. However, if it remains at slight level, you can glance at some effective tips mentioned in the article. You can get rid of post nasal drip by a wide range of remedies with natural and common ingredients at home.
There are top ten home remedies for warding off post nasal drip below:
1. Salt Water
Salt water is simplest yet effective home remedies which is really helpful in treating post nasal drip. By gargling salt water you can delete the discomfort feelings of this disease. Not only do gargling salt water help in filtering the irritations out the body contracting post nasal drip but the mucus can be thinned. Consequently, this home remedy can speed up the healing process after having post nasal drip.
- Pour ½ tablespoon of spoon into a glass of lukewarm water.
- Make the salt to be dissolved by stringing circular.
- Try to repeat this home remedy regularly, at least 2 – 3 times in few days for the best result.
2. Steam Inhalation
Due to its powerful content, steam treatment (also known as steam inhalation) is considered as effective home remedy for getting rid of post nasal drip. Because of the ability of controlling mucus production, steam inhalation can be applied to treat this disease by both way without or with essential oils.
How to apply:
- Prepare a glass of boiling water
- Pour any kind of essential oil into the water ( just pour some drops, it is optional)
- Your face and your head need to drape by a towel above a bowl of hot water. Need to have safety distance from your face to the bowl.
- Steam for approximately 15 minutes before your nose is blown.
- Repeat it daily for the best result.
Note: This home remedy is not highly recommended for children.
Thanks to the powerful antibiotic content, garlic is famous for the potent herb that is responsible for controlling the excessive production of mucus as well as preventing the infection. Moreover, the inadequate garlic consumption is along with the improvement in recovery.
- Mix raw garlic with butter (clarified type). Garlic need to be ground into tiny pieces to mix easier. Trying to eat the paste with lukewarm milk regularly. Persist in the food for several days.
- Alternatively, you can directly chew raw garlic with some small parts. It’s so simple and convenient.
Ginger lend you a hand to reduce the risk of mucus overproduction as well as support in its expulsion. This is due to the powerful properties of ginger including natural decongestant, antiviral, expectorant and antibacterial content. Additionally, ginger can also be responsible for relieving hoarseness, sore throat, chest congestion and other common symptoms that you have to experience when contracting post nasal drip.
In addition to treating postnasal drip, ginger is beneficial for those who are contracting whooping cough.
How to apply:
- Add some sliced ginger in 2 glasses of water. Simmer the drink at the average temperature for 20 minute. Pour 1 – 2 drops of raw honey and strain the drink for more flavored. Drink it daily. Try to repeat this habit for 1 month.
- Alternatively, you can consume directly by chewing some sliced ginger 2 – 3 times per day or add it to the daily meal.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper plays an important role in getting rid of post nasal drip by its antihistamine properties. Moreover, the capsaicin included in cayenne pepper is responsible for easy elimination to prevent the overproduction of mucus.
- Make a tea with ingredients including raw honey and cayenne pepper. Drink it 2 – 3 times per day.